CURRICULUM VITAE – ROBERT HARRISON, PhD DSc
- Senior Scientist, Program in Neuroscience & Mental Health, SickKids Research Institute
- Director, Auditory Science Laboratory, SickKids Research Institute
- Professor, Department of Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery, and Department of Physiology
- Professor, Institute of Biomaterials & Biomedical Engineering (IBBME), and Institute of Medical Science (IMS)
- Member, School of graduate Studies (SGS)
- Adjunct Faculty, School of Audiology, SALUS University, Philadelphia, U.S.
- NORMAL HEARING AND AUDITORY BRAIN DEVELOPMENT: In my laboratory we use a wide range of research techniques to investigate the structure and function of the normal auditory system (asking the question: How do we normally hear?) Our studies focus both on the “mature” system, and on early developmental processes that form the auditory brain.
- THE CAUSES AND CONSEQUENCES OF HEARING LOSS: We examine many different factors that can cause hearing loss, and determine what structural and functional changes occur to the inner ear and the central auditory brain.
- CIHR Operating Grant: The changing balance of neural inhibition vs. excitation during auditory system development. 2014 -2019. RV Harrison.
- Barberian Scholarship Fund, University of Toronto: OAE generation in the lizard. Insights on emission origins. 2019. R.V. Harrison and J. Negandhi,
- Carraro M, Almishaal A, Hillas E, Firpo M, Park A, Harrison RV. (2016) Cytomegalovirus (CMV) infection causes degeneration of cochlear vasculature and hearing loss in a mouse model. Journal of the Association for Research in Otolaryngology (JARO) 2016 Dec 19. DOI: 10.1007/s10162-016-0606-4
- Harrison RV. (2017) Central auditory changes in SNHL. Audiology Feature. ENT and Audiology News, 28 (2): 89-90
- Negandhi J, Bergevin D, Harrison RV. (2018) Scanning electron microscopy of the basilar papilla of the lizard (Anolis Carolensis). Canadian Acoustics, 46 (1) 7-12.
- James AL, Dixon PR, Harrison RV. (2018) Cochlear nerve aplasia with maintained olivo-cochlear efferent function: a distinct form of auditory neuropathy spectrum disorder. Audiology Neuro-otology, DOI: 10.1159/000487584
- D’Alessandro LM, Harrison RV. (2018) C-fos immunolabeling reveals changes in neural activation patterns in chinchilla auditory midbrain following chronic neonatal exposure to a moderately-intense sound environment. Neural Plasticity, 2018 Jul 5; 2018:7160362. doi: 10.1155/2018/7160362
- Xiaobai Xu, Jaina Negandhi, Weixian Min, Michael Tsui, Martin Post, Robert V. Harrison, Eyal Grunebaum (2019) Early Enzyme Replacement Therapy Improves Hearing and Immune Defects in Adenosine Deaminase Deficient-MiceFrontiers in Immunology, Feb. 2019, Volume 10, Article 416
- Deonarain AR, Harrison RV, Gordon KA, Wolter NE, Looi T, Estrada M, Propst EJ. (2019) Live porcine model for surgical training in tracheostomy and open-airway surgery. Laryngoscope. 2019 Sep 30. doi: 10.1002/lary.28309.