- Professor in the Faculty of Social Work
- Director of the Institute for the Life Course and Aging at the University of Toronto.
- Scientific Director of an International Centre of Excellence
- Governor General’s Golden Jubilee medal for contributions to Canadian gerontology. 2002
- Betty Havens Award in Longitudinal Research for contributions to research in aging. 2007
Dr. McDonald has held numerous grants from Health Canada, the former HRDC, from SSHRCC, MCRI, CIHR, Population Health, and the National Directorate on the Homeless.
- McDonald, L. & Timoshkina, N. (2007). “The Life of Trafficked Sex Workers from the Former Eastern Bloc: The Canadian Dimension” International Journal of Comparative and Applied Criminal Justice. Vol. 31, No. 2. Fall, 212-243.
- Rowland, A. & McDonald, L. (2007). Facilitating Fully Informed Health Care Decisions: The Impact on the Education and Role of Medical Social Work with Individuals with Aphasia. The International Journal of Social Work Education.
- McDonald, L. Sussman, T and Donahue, P. (2007) The Economic Consequences of Retiring to Caregive. Journals of Gerontology.
- Leung, Ho Hon & Lynn McDonald (2007). “Chinese women who care for aging parents in three generational households: Immigrant experiences”. The Asian Journal of Gerontology and Geriatrics.
- McDonald, L. Dergal, J, & Cleghorn, L. (2007). Living on the Margins: Homelessness among Older Adults in Toronto. Journal of Gerontological Social Work. Vol. 49 special Edition on Housing.
- Donahue and McDonald, L. (2005). Gay and Lesbian Aging: Current Perspectives and Future Directions for Social Work Practice and Research. Families and Society. Special Edition. Vol. 88, No. 3 Jul-Sept. 359-367.
- McDonald L. and Robb, L. (2004). The Economic Legacy of Divorce and Separation for Older Women. Canadian Journal on Aging. Invited Paper for Special Edition. Vol.23, Supplement 1, S83-S97. (Also appeared in the Daily, Statistics Canada).