- Assistant Professor at the Brain and Mind Institute as well as Department of Psychology at Western University, Canada.
- PhD in Cognitive Neuroscience of Music, BA/BMus double degree in Neuroscience and Piano Performance.
- Ontario Ministry of Economic Development and Innovation, Early Researcher Reward, 2012-2016. Brain mechanisms for musical rhythm processing ($190,000, Peer-reviewed Trainee Grant), Principal Investigator)
- P. Bickell Foundation for Medical Research, 2012-2014, ($65,000, Peer-Reviewed Operating Grant), Principal Investigator
- Grammy Foundation, 2012-2014. Brain responses to musical rhythm in human and non-human animals ($19,500, Peer-Reviewed Operating Grant, Principal Investigator)
- Leaders Opportunity Fund, Canadian Foundation for Innovation, 2012-2017. Laboratory for neuroscience and musical rhythm investigation. ($280,000, Peer-Reviewed Infrastructure Grant, Principal Investigator)
- Natural Sciences & Engineering Research Council, Discovery Grant, 2011-2016. Individual differences and auditory-motor interactions in rhythm perception. ($120,000, Peer-Reviewed Operating Grant, Principal Investigator)
- K. MacDonald Fund for Parkinson’s Research, 2011-2020. ($100,000, Operating Grant, Principal Investigator)
Urner, M., Sarri, M., Grahn, J., Manly, T., Rees, G., & Friston, K. (2013). The role of prestimulus activity in visual extinction. Neuropsychologia, 51(8), 1630-1637.
Nombela, C., Rae, C. L., Grahn, J. A., Barker, R. A., Owen, A. M., & Rowe, J. B. (2013). How often does music and rhythm improve patients’ perception of motor symptoms in Parkinson’s disease? Journal of Neurology, 260(5), 1404-1405.
Schweizer, S., Grahn, J., Hampshire, A., Mobbs, D., & Dalgleish, T. (2013). Training the emotional brain: improving affective control through emotional working memory training. Journal of Neuroscience, 33(12), 5301-5311.
Grahn, J.A., Schuit, D. (2012). Individual differences in rhythmic abilities: behavioural and fMRI investigations. Psychomusicology: Music, Mind, & Brain 22(2), 105-121.
Grahn, J. A., & Manly, T. (2012). Common neural recruitment across diverse sustained attention tasks. PloS one, 7(11), e49556.
Grahn, J. A. (2012). See what I hear? Beat perception in auditory and visual rhythms. Experimental Brain Research, 220(1), 51-61.
Grahn, J. A., & Rowe, J. B. (2013). Finding and feeling the musical beat: Striatal dissociations between detection and prediction of regularity. Cerebral Cortex, 23(4), 913-921.
Grahn, J. A. (2011). Advances in neuroimaging techniques: implications for the shared syntactic integration resource hypothesis. Language and Music as Cognitive Systems, 235.
Grahn, J. A., Henry, M. J., & McAuley, J. D. (2011). FMRI investigation of cross-modal interactions in beat perception: Audition primes vision, but not vice versa. NeuroImage, 54(2), 1231-1243.
Owen, A. M., Hampshire, A., Grahn, J. A., Stenton, R., Dajani, S., Burns, A. S., … & Ballard, C. G. (2010). Putting brain training to the test. Nature,465(7299), 775-778.