- Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, UT,
- Hospital Affiliation: CAMH Clarke Institute Division
- Research Faculty, Center for Psychoanalytic Training and Research, Columbia University, New York. 1991-present.
- Lecturer, Center for Psychoanalytic Training and Research, Columbia University, New York. 1991-present
- Training and Supervising Analyst, Canadian Institute of Psychoanalysis, 1999-present
SPEAKING Many presentations related to plasticity around the world. For example:
- October 21, 2011 SAN FRANCISCO, USA Keynote: The Brain That Changes Itself – Core Neuroplasticity Principles, and Their Role in Transforming Learning, Innovative Learning Conference, The Nueva School,
- May 31, 2011 ROME, ITALY. McLuhan Galaxy Celebrations: Tracce Del Futuro “Traces of the Future” Keynote Address: Cambiano i media, cambiano il cervello Universita La Splenza, Via Salaria, Roma
- Principal Investigator in a study of DSM-III-R diagnoses, traumatic histories, family and treatment histories, changes in treatment, in the psychoanalytic patients in Australia, 1997
- Principal Investigator, Feasibility Pilot Study of Televideo For Conducting Psychiatric Assessments of Patients in an Underserviced Ontario Community. Awarded by the National Health Research and Development Program ( NHRDP) Health Canada. This project studies how psychotic, personality disordered and patients with non psychotic Axis I disorders respond to televideo assessments, on a variety of parameters. Co-Principal Investigator: Dr. Annette Stevens, 1994
- Principal Investigator in a study of DSM-III-R diagnoses, traumatic histories, family and treatment histories in the psychoanalytic patients in the United States. Title: Survey and a Validation Study. Investigators: Michael First, M.D.; John Oldham, M.D., Barry Simon, M.D. Annette Stevens, Jacqueline Burnshaw, M.A. M.D., Paul Mosher, M.D., & Lee Brauer, M.D. Funded by the American Psychoanalytic Association. Grant for $57,000.00 (in Canadian dollars), 1993
- Principal Investigator, in a study comparing the use of defenses in psychoanalytic patients verses borderline inpatients. Salary support from the National Institute of Mental Health and Columbia University. Fellowship salary, 2 years $55,000.00 each year, for a total of $110,000 U.S. NIMH Research Training Grant MH15144, 1988-90
Author of: The Brain That Changes Itself chosen by the journal Cerebrum (of the Dana Brain Foundation), by journal judges and readers as the #1 best general book on the brain for the general reader, from among 30,000 brain books.
Neuroplasticity, Perfectibility and Three Ideas of nature. In Recovering Reason: Essays in Honor of Thomas L. Pangle. Edited by Timothy Burns, Lanham Maryland: Lexington Books. p. 443-464, 2010
Acquiring Tastes and Loves: What Neuroplasticity Teach Us about Sexual Attraction and Love. In The Social Costs of Pornography. Edited by James R. Stoner Jr. & Donna M. Hughes. New Jersey: The Witherspoon Institute, 2010, p. 21-56. From The Brain That Changes Itself.